Koo is the development platform that we have created at NaN·tic to enable rapid application development without compromising on high capacity for adaptation, customization, and full compatibility with OpenERP, but which also extends it to offer a new range of possibilities, such as text search, text recognition or customizing the on-screen appearance. All this using the technologies offered by Qt and KDE on Linux, Mac and Windows.
The platform is free and available under free GPL license.
Advantages for users
- Formulas can be entered in numeric fields including: +, -, *, /, and parentheses.
- Built-in configurable text search.
- The Attach Smart module allows users to view the metadata extracted from files and index them when using the text search module. It recognizes the metadata of various types of files such as PDF, ODF, DOC and TXT. The images are processed by a text recognition program.
- Ability to view images whether attached as binary or as an image by right-clicking on the field.
- Options to insert the current date and time in date-type fields.
- Stylizable interface without needing any module on the server.
- A DBUS interface allows external applications to interact, for example, by opening a window when a client connects to an instant messaging service.
- PDF files directed to the printer, the binary data and images are opened with the default user application for the type of data. Simply attach a file, right-click on the text box and select “Open …”.
- Many elements of the client are configurable by role, through a module on the server.
- It allows users to change and save the column order and widths and default sorting.
- It does not require paging for extensive records listings. The load-on-demand data model is responsible for obtaining the data from the server only when necessary.